Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Teresa's take

Government hospitals in Swaziland are limited in how and what they can do for their patients, therefore, making the care, for the most part, palliative. Babies and children that, if treated in the states would have a great chance at making it; here usually don’t make it out of the hospital. Why? Who’s to blame? Who knows? The medical professionals do the best with the skills, knowledge, and equipment that they have to work with. Is it enough? I can’t answer that. It is very difficult to go to the pediatric ward and see sick babies one day, and go back the next day, and they are gone. Where?- to their eternal home. Are they better off? Yes, of course, but could they have made a difference in someone else’s life down the road? Did God have more for them? More questions that go through my mind that I cannot answer. One young mother stood in the pediatric ward our second day visit. I asked her which child was hers. She answered, “Mine was the one that was in the second cot with the wound on his head, he died last night about 6pm.” I was speechless for a few seconds, and then I asked if I could pray with her, she said that I could. I attempted to pray without breaking down and crying, I didn’t quite make it, and quickly said Amen and told the mother how sorry I was. I had to leave the pediatric ward then; I could take no more for now. Then, while I was standing outside of the ward, wiping my tears, I hear someone calling me, and look to see a young boy lying on a cot on the floor. He had seen that we had been taking photos inside and he wanted his photo taken. We asked him what happened to him; he had a broken arm and many scrapes and scratches. His mother told us that he had been hit by an automobile. He was healing well and was going to be alright. We rejoiced for that.

Dr. Beyda was able to bring much wisdom and insight to me just in the two days that he was visiting, seeing children both at the CarePoints and in the hospital. We are very excited to see what God has in store for us and we pray for wisdom to make the right decisions for the future of our medical portion of Children’s Cup.

On a lighter note, the Rehmeyer children have started a Bible study at break time, at school. They are bringing their Bibles and doing devotions and prayer. Yesterday, one little boy came up to Nathanael and started making fun of him, getting down on his knee and mocking, and calling him “preacher man.” I told Nathanael, and the girls, to just hold strong and be obedient, and don’t let the mockers get to them. This little boy that was making fun, may be the first one to be saved, one never knows.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

teresa, i know that it is hard to take and handle, but i know you are great to help and pray with them. they need people like you. love, stephanie

Anonymous said...

you go rehmeyer children, preach away nathanael!! iam proud of you all so much!!! i love you all and i pray the God continues to use you all in a mighty way!! love, stephanie