Friday, June 16, 2006

Ward 8

I visited the government hospital again today with my friend Robin.  We were taking some of the HIV positive babies from her orphanage to get their blood work drawn.  While we were waiting on the doctor to draw the blood, we visited Ward 8, the abandoned children’s ward.  We saw the little 3 year old girl that had been abandoned about a month ago.  She had been terribly sexually abused, and had trauma, as well as sexually transmitted disease, which was manifested in little cauliflower shaped blisters or sores all over her genital area.  When we were there a month ago, she was just lying on the floor, not responding at all.  Today as we entered the room, it was bath time.  All of the children were lined up for their bath which took place in big plastic basin on the floor.  She was being bathed, and the look on her face was one of absolute terror.  Even though, she was not being harmed, the fact that she was naked, and someone’s hands were on her, even though just being washed, she looked horrified.  I watched as they finished and applied lotion to her and Vaseline to her still sore and raw genital area, and dressed her.  She walked over and was still pulling at her clothes as if she was still in pain.  I’ll never be able to forget the look on her face.  I so wanted to see her smile.  I sat on the bench holding one of the babies, and she came up right beside me, with her back facing me, but leaning on me.  I placed my arm very carefully around her, and she just stood there allowing me to hold her for about half an hour.  I could hardly contain myself to think of the horror that this child has been through.  I just held her and prayed that God would somehow heal her little mind, soul and body.  Tears rolled down my face, I tried to stop crying, but I just could hardly contain it.  Finally, I got a little stuffed animal toy and tried to play with her.  As I brought the toy to her face, and played, a big smile came across her face.  That was worth a million bucks to me right then.  I praised God for that smile, even though it quickly faded and the scowl returned.  My friend Robin, is in the process of taking this little one to her orphanage to try and get her the emotional, and spiritual help that she desperately needs, as well as lots and lots of love.  Please help us pray for this precious little one as well as many others like her.  Please pray that God will help us to show His love to these little ones as He would have us to.

3 comments:

Joseph & Cheri LeBlanc said...

Thank you for being there as Jesus's hands and taking the time to show us things with your words that we could never imagine.

Dave Ohlerking said...

So glad you are part of the 'Cup Team.

You knew this would make us cry...

Dave & Jean

danohlerking said...

that's why you're there. that's what children's cup is all about. and i'm convinced that this little girl's life is what the Gospel is all about, too.