Thursday, March 08, 2007

Gift From God

Today at the clinic, I saw a go-go (grandma), “60 something”, she said, when asked her age. She is taking care of 3 grand children from her daughter who died a little over a year ago. The baby was 2 months when she died. Go-Go says that the baby looked so terrible that she thought that he wasn’t going to make it. She began taking care of him and she started producing breast milk and has been breast feeding him for the past year. The baby looks fat and healthy. When I told Go-Go what a great job she was doing taking care of this one, she smiled from ear to ear. The teacher that was interpreting for me, was amazed that a woman 60 plus years could still breast feed a baby. I told her to tell Go-Go that it was a gift from God that she has been able to do this in order to keep this baby alive and healthy. Again, a huge smile broke out across her face and she responded with a very sincere thank you. Thank God for some happy stories among the many sad ones!

I also saw one of the boys that we started taking to Baylor clinic to be treated for HIV last year. He didn’t look too good today. The teacher found him fast asleep at home, in the middle of the day. He was coughing, running fever, breathing very rapidly, and his lungs sound like he may have pneumonia. He has also lost a lot of weight and has no appetite. I began to explain to him that it is very important that he eat and drink lots of water. I told him that he must take the medicine that I gave him 4 times a day, with food. I looked closer and saw tears beginning to form in his eyes and drop down his cheek. I stopped and just put my arms around him and held him. I told the teacher to tell him that I am sorry if I scared him. I told him that he was going to be ok, but that he needed to do what I told him in order to get well. I told him how much Jesus loves him and that he was going to take care of him. I asked him if we could pray and had the teacher to translate for him. Please help us pray for this boy to get well. If the antibiotic doesn’t work, we may have to consider having him tested for TB. I know that God is able to do so much more than we can possibly ask or imagine!

No comments: