Wednesday, December 05, 2007

December 5

Blog entry 04 Dec 07

I saw the 15 month old baby girl in the hospital today from the Mangwaneni Mbabane CarePoint that we have been taking to Baylor for treatment for AIDS. Her 20 year old mother is one of our cooks at that CarePoint. She looked so helpless as she held the sick baby, and wiped her runny nose.

The child could hardly breathe. She was so thin and emaciated that it looked like her neck couldn't hold her head up. I thought, if this baby were in the States she would be in ICU. Here, they were only giving her IV antibiotics, no oxygen, no continuous IV drip, no machines, etc.

The mother asked if we could help to transport her and the baby to Baylor tomorrow to get her ARV's. She was supposed to start the ARV's tomorrow, after going for a month for the adherence counseling. I wondered if it was too late. I prayed with her and the baby before I left.

When I got home, I called one of the doctors from Baylor to see if she could bring the ARV's to her instead of moving the baby from the hospital. She said that she would try.

05 Dec 07

I received a phone message from the teacher at the CarePoint. The baby died about 1:00 this morning. This young mother was distraught to say the least. Sandra and Jacci went to pray with her and find out what we can do to help with the burial. She asked if we could help with the coffin and food. We will gladly try to help with this. Please pray for this young mother, who is now alone.

3 comments:

Jean Ohlerking said...

you know we are praying for you and for the ones God has called all of us on the 'Cup team to minister to...

and we are praying for God to give you all wisdom, strength and anointing to minister love.

meemaw

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that you are there to love and help the hurting. Your job is so very important.
Much love, Barbara

Unknown said...

Dear Rehmeyer Family,
My family and I are members of Messiah Lutheran church in Downingtown, Pa. We are coming to Swaziland to visit a missionary in Bulembu in 3 weeks and wanted to see if we might be able to stop by to say hello or help you in any way. Please contact me at my email address.
Dennis